02 August 2009

Cowboys

Training camps are now in full swing, and I will be updating much more frequently now that football season has begun (Woo-Hoo!).

I want ot start by talking about how awesome 4th and Long was. Nevermind the former Cowboy greats, watching Joe Avezzano (bizzarro Christopher Lloyd), and countless slow, backlit shots of Irvin dressed in black. All of those things were exciting, but the insight into each of the players vying for a shot on Dallas' 80 man roster was phenomenal. I won't recap everything here, but the show was every bit as good as Hard Knocks. Jesse Holley was my favorite from the get go, and I was very pleased that he won. I think he could actually make the 53 man roster.

What? I'm crazy? Think about it- Isaiah Stanback is a converted QB (to WR) and can't stay healthy. Sam Hurd can't stay healthy. Kevin Ogletree, Manuel Johnson, and Julian Hawkins are rookies. Holley is big (6'2"), strong (215lbs), and has the fire you want to see in players. He can help on special teams and in the red zone. After watching him go through grueling drill after grueling drill and never giving up or slacking off (EVER), this is a guy I want on my team.

In other news, Dallas' 3rd round pick, Robert Brewster, was injured and will likely miss the year. Why in the world am I talking about a 3rd round pick? For two reasons. The first is that he was Dallas' highest draft pick, and the second is that OL depth is an issue for this team. When your top pick goes down, it is not a good thing. If for no other reason than to push everyone else, I wanted to see what he could do. Guess I'll wait til next year (shit- have I become a secret Cubs fan?).

As camp progresses, I will comment further. I can't wait til they start hitting other teams!

2 comments:

Kenny R said...

The Cubs shot was little dirty, Wolfe! :P

Cory Deere said...

Cowboys Boooo! Ha!