27 April 2008

Draft Recap

Before I begin my assessment of Dallas' draft, I want to pay tribute to a player that I liked a lot during his stay in Big D. Akin Ayodele was a solid starter and a great free agent signing. Tuna signed him after his rookie contract with Jacksonville expired, and he has started 32 games. In his 6-year NFL career, he has started 96 straight games. He is tough against the run, and is decent in coverage. I am sad to see him go.

Apparently, my prognostication powers are not what I thought they were. Despite my complete amazement at the Felix Jones pick, my sadness over the aforementioned Ayodele trade, and my perplexity over Erin Henderson being undrafted, overall, I'm pleased with the draft. I love the Jenkins and Choice selections and when JJ is in wheelin'-dealin' mode. If the gamble on Pacman pays off, then we got a lot better. If not, then we got better. I can live with that. We added another offensive weapon, depth at RB & CB, and soildified our return game. Not too shabby.

And we really needed to address our secondary, what with Mario Manningham, Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly all joining our division. The NFC East is back to the level of competitiveness of the 80's. All four teams are legitimate playoff contenders, and the division race is wide open. This season is gonna be fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that it will be interesting to see if Oakland can make anything out of the combo of Jamarcus Russell and Darren McFadden.

Anonymous said...

I just see the potential for a lot of injury this year for Dallas---and it's scary. Terry Glenn, TO, Zach Thomas, Anthony Henry, Terrence Newman, OL players, the unforseen... While Dallas has the tools to overcome such adversity, I just worry what would happen if TO and TG go down or if---god---Tony Romo goes down. If nothing else, injuries are extrememly disruptive to team chemistry. I would have felt better if we had a young, explosive WR in the wings learning directly from TO...

Wolfe said...

I completely agree on the injury bug thing, although all NFL teams have that risk. Of course, She will probably not play again- it's hard to run with no cartilage in your knee (see: Martin, Curtis). I eally wanted Sweed (congrats, Shaff!) to be that guy under TO's guidance, but I guess JJ likes him some Hurd-Miles-Stanback.