23 April 2008

TO, Tank, Throw me the damn...Pacman?

JJ is willing to give anyone a second (or 11th) chance in hopes that a troubled 20-something can turn his life around and fulfill his potential. I like that about him. I have always looked on JJ with an ascance eye, and have often been critical of the way he handled the team. I had no respect for a man who fired Coach Landry. Now, maybe Landry wouldn't resign and JJ had to fire him to get him out. I don't know. It still made me angry as a fan of the Cowboys and of the game.

I think JJ has benefited greatly from his experience with the Tuna. Or at least I hope so. If nothing else, Tuna left a very full cupboard. While JJ is never afraid to shell out the dinero, he learned to be smart with where that money went, and to be smart with that money. Look at the contracts he signed with all three of the lastest reclamation programs. TO- a series of 5, 1-year contracts that would allow Dallas to cut the player with few cap ramifications. Tank (shouldn't he be renamed "Arsenal", or is it now that he has the firepower of a tank?)- a 2-year, vet minimum deal with no guaranteed money. Pacman- a 4-year deal with no guaranteed money. Talk about minimizing risk...

As a final note, the chance of Dallas selecting Felix Jones in the draft, if slight before, is now nil. The only rational argument put forth by those who advocate that pick is Jones' return ability. Pacman is now the return guy. Yes, I realize that he may not ever play, but assuming he does (and stays out of titty bars), Pacman is a far better return man than anyone on the roster. And if he "makes it rain" in the endzone, I'm all for it.

No comments: