13 January 2009

The New Year

It's a new year, and I have some observations/reflections on 2008 and a look forward to 2009.

2008
NFL- What a disappointing season. I hate to say it, but I hope that Jason Garrett gets offered one of the openings and he takes it. Dallas' offense was terrible all season long, and there needs to be some change. Since JJ won't fire him, I hope for the next best thing. JJ should fire Wade, but he wont. Getting rid of Pacman and Tank is a good start. To be fair, I was all for the trade that brought Pacman to Dallas, but ulimately, he didn't show enough to keep around. And he's a criminal.

Politics- I am glad Bush is (almost) gone. What a disaster.

Entertainment- With more time that I had perviously had now available (due to the birth of my son), I have gotten to watch a rack of movies that I hadn't gotten around to. I was most impressed with a movie that I re-watched recently- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Just outstanding. Casey Affleck should have won the Oscar.

My favorite albums of 2008 are Attack and Release by the Black Keys (and produced by Danger Mouse- I am now officially in the "if Danger Mouse is involved, I'm buying it" camp), Fight With Tools by Flobots, and Dig Out Your Soul by Oasis.

I have also joined the "Trillion Man March"- the followers of a hilarious blog written by a member of the Ohio State men's basketball team. Club Trillion refers to the box score (1 minute played, zeros the rest of the way). Good stuff, even if he does play for a Big Ten school.

2009
Dallas- Having spent their 1st round pick on Roy11 (a trade I would do every day, regardless of his performance this year. From all reports, Roy11 had Mark Price Disease. He'll be healthy next year), Dallas' first pick is #51 (2nd round) but they have 9 overall picks. They need depth at LB, OL, DL, and CB. A fast, field-stretching WR would be nice, but not necessary. I'll have more on this as the draft draws closer.

Like I said before, the biggest changes need to come with the coaching staff. There is no accountablility for players or management for mistakes. That has to change if JJ wants to open his new stadium with a trophy.

Maryland B-ball- I truly don't know how to feel about this team. I am a dyed-in-the-wool ACC fan, and I don't particularly like the grind it out style this team is forced to play due to their lack of offensive fire power. I watched the UNC-Wake game Sunday night, and loved it not only because UNC lost, but the tempo of the game was great. MD can't run like that with this team. Too bad.

No comments: