16 January 2009

Omissions

When writing my New Year post, I forgot two points I wanted to make.

Myron Rolle- The FS from Florida State won a Rhodes Scholarship, then decided to skip the NFL draft, and go to Oxford. Awesome. He is the shining example of a "student-athlete" that is rare in major college athletics. That he comes from a family of football Rolles is even better. I cannot say enough about this kid. I hope Dallas drafts him in 2010.

Gaza Strip- Let's see, rockets are launched into Israel and kill less than 10 people. So the Israelis bomb the Strip (an ethnic ghetto) and kill hundreds, and the US (which supplies Israel with military items) declares that the Israelis are justified. Hmmm, why do Islamic extremists hate us again? I know that the US will always publicly support Israel, and that the conflict is the thrid rail of world politics, but something has to change. While I do not condone shooting rockets into populated areas, I understand the frustration felt by Palestinians. They live as second-class citizens in a country that was artificially created due to European guilt after WWII. Living conditions are horrible, poverty is rampant, and they look across the (heavily guarded) border and see Israelis living in comparable heaven.

I realize that there are more pressing national security concerns, but can't help but think that the battle for the hearts and minds of Muslims might be made easier if the US didn't blindly support Israel.

No comments: